Monday, 27 June 2011

I Can't Believe They Ate my Oreos

Days 41 & 42

We arrive in a Potosi, a town that is actually quite pleasant - i didn't think there was such a thing in Bolivia. We arrive in the afternoon and have little time to explore the place. The second day, we went on a trip to the mines. Potosi was the richest city in the world when it was originally built, because of the mountain there which was rich in silver. now however, its mines are almost dry, yet thousands of miners, some of which are just children, work there. The mountain is known as 'the mountain that eats men' because 8 million men have lost their lives working there. And what i didn't realise until after i went in there was that 16 tourists had been killed in there in the past 3 years. If i knew that i might have decided about going in. The mine was incredibly cramped and we had to climb up a whole only just bigger than my body, so small infact that our hats didn't fit through it. I have to admit, I really didn't enjoy the experience, but i'm glad i did it. The worst part of the trip was when they decided to blow up dynamite without telling us they were going to do it. The whole mine shook and for a second we all thought we were goners, it really was a horrible experience.

Day 43 & 44

Arriving in Sucre, the capital of Bolivia, was again a surprise as it was a beautiful place. We did little here, except have a night out, watch the new pirates film and had a night under the stars chatting all night. We were told to rest as the next few days would be fairly stressful. I loved these two days, especially the nights, it was great to get to know everyone so much better. A few of us also went to a dinosaur museum which was just, simply, a con. but we laughed all the way through it. I also left my Oreo's in my pigeon whole which the reception staff decided to eat that night, which I wasn't pleased about.

Day 45

A short plane journey took us to Santa Cruz, where I am as I write this. Tomorrow we head out of Bolivia and into Brazil. The hot weather starts here. I will not have any internet or phone reception for 3 days for reasons which will be explained in my next post

No comments:

Post a Comment